Saturday, September 28, 2013

Simple Mine Craft Party Cake


Retro is turning 14 this weekend and asked for a Mine Craft Party.  My first look over the internet for cake ideas was sort of discouraging.  I do not have the time or interest to work fondant and that seems to be how most of the cakes were decorated.  Then I found a 'cake block' cake and knew we were in business.  It was simple, and didn't require an expert cake decorator.  I'm not masterful with a pastry bag, but I can do some basic piping and that is all that was needed for this cake.

I baked square 10"cake layers and leveled them off.  I used white buttercream in the middle to put the layers together.  Then I piped square shapes on the side with chocolate frosting and frosted the sides to the bottom using my small spatula.  I piped in the white squares next to chocolate on the sides and frosted the top also with the white.  I smoothed things out a little.  Then placed red *twizzler squares on top and piped a round edging at the bottom. 

*Twizzler squares are easy to make.  Put a red twizzler in the microwave for 6 -10 sec until it is soft, but not melted.  Roll it flat with rolling pin while still warm and cut into the squares the size you need. 

We are serving with vanilla bean ice cream cut into cubes. 


No comments: